This heart-winged butterfly was an easy craft to make with the kids. Bree had some friends over for a Valentine’s Day party last year and one of the activities was making these butterflies as a valentine for the parents.
On each table, we had a variety of crat supplies for the kids to customize their butterfly valentine.
Butterfly Valentine Craft Supplies
- Variety of paper – scrapbook paper, card stock, construction paper, etc.
- Valentines stickers
- Foam heart stickers
- Large craft sticks
- Pipe cleaners
- Pom poms
- Glue sticks
- Elmer’s glue
You can pick up these craft supplies at Michaels or you may have many of the supplies on hand.
Heart-winged Butterfly Craft Instructions
- First I had the kids pick two pieces of the same color of paper and fold them in half. Then I had the kids cut a heart to make two wings. For the kids who didn’t know how to make a heart, I helped trace the shape to cut onto their papers and had them cut along the lines.
- Decorate the wings with stickers and hand-drawn designs.
- Decorate the craft stick (body of the butterfly) with pom poms and stickers.
- Draw eyes and smiley face on the craft stick.
- Make antennas out of pipe cleaners. We wrapped the ends of the pipe cleaner around a pencil.
- Finally we assembled it all together using a hot glue gun. Since I didn’t want anyone to walk away with burns, I did all the hot gluing.
I thought these turned out very cute and were easy for the kids to figure out. This craft works great as a “spring craft” as well.