I’m not joking when I say these are the best homemade sugar cookies I have ever had. I have had some hit or miss luck with sugar cookie recipes, but not with this one. It is a winner. My husband has a weak spot for sugar cookies. They are his favorite. When I asked his opinion he said, “The are the best sugar cookies I’ve ever had!” My husband does not throw around compliments so I know that this recipe was good. (I second his review).
Soft Sour Cream Sugar Cookie Recipe
This recipe came from Picky Palate. I made a couple of accidental modifications. My modifications didn’t seem to affect the cookie negatively. If anything, they enhanced it!
- 2 Cups sugar
- 2 Cups butter, softened (The original recipe only called for 1 cup of butter, but I accidentally did 2 cups. I believe it was a good mistake :))
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 Cup sour cream
- 6 Cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In an electric or stand mixer, cream the sugar and butter. Add eggs, vanilla and sour cream until well combined. Slowly add in the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt until well combined.
- In 2 batches, place in plastic wrap in a disc shape and chill for at least 2 hours for best results.
- Once chilled, roll and cut into desired shapes. Bake at 350 degrees for 9-11 minutes depending on how thick you cut your cookies. Remove and let cool. Frost and decorate as desired.
Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 bag powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Cream softened butter and cream cheese together then add vanilla.
- Slowly add powdered sugar.
- Slowly add milk to desired consistency.
How to Make Sugar Cookies – Picture Tutorial
Soften butter and put into mixer.
I like to cream my butter before adding the sugar. Just to make sure it is the proper “softness.”
Cream butter and sugar together.
As your mixing, make sure to scrape edges with a spatula to make sure all the ingredients get mixed properly.
Add vanilla and sour cream.
Mix until well combined. It will look kind of chunky and wet.
Slowly mix in flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
Once it is all mixed together, split the dough into 2 batches and form a large ball.
Wrap in plastic wrap (or put in a sealed container). Let chill for at least 2 hours (I let it chill overnight).
Take out of fridge and roll dough.
Use cookie cutters to make your sugar cookie shapes.
Bake at 350 for 9-11 minutes. My first batch was rolled thinner so I did 9 minutes. Second batch was thicker and I did 11 minutes. The cookies were barely beginning to brown around the edges and bottom.
How to Make Cream Cheese Frosting – Picture Tutorial
Cream cheese frosting is my favorite. It has a great flavor, isn’t overwhelmingly sweet, and it has a great texture. It works well for piping cupcakes or frosting sugar cookies.
Cream softened butter and cream cheese together. I used the microwave to soften both (the butter came straight from the freezer and cream cheese from the fridge).
Once cream cheese and butter is well combined, add vanilla. Then slowly add powdered sugar.
Add milk to desired consistency. I added about 1 tablespoon of milk.
I love gel food coloring. You get rich, vibrant colors for your frosting.
Color your frosting to match the holiday or occasion.
Frost Your Sugar Cookies
Be generous with your frosting! That is what makes sugar cookies so delicious.
Don’t Forget the Sprinkles
Sprinkles help make your sugar cookies beautiful and elegant or cute and fun.
Had to Taste!
Do you love sugar cookies as much as I do? What is your favorite recipe?